The most successful watch manufactured by Rolex for divers is the Submariner. The initial Submariner was first produced towards the end of the 1950s and has since gone on to become one of the most well known and loved watches in the world. Although the Rolex Submariner is a luxury watch, it’s still capable of being used in demanding professional situations.
Rolex Submariner Features
- The primary feature of the Rolex Submariner is that it’s capable of being used up to 300 metres underwater. Although this isn’t as deep as the Rolex Sea dweller it’s still more than deep enough for most dives.
- Rolex Submariners come with Rolex’s Triplock system which helps to keep the movement safe from any external influences such as water or dust.
- One of the most important features for divers is the Rolex Submariner’s ability to let them keep track of “immersion” time as well as the actual time. This is due to the specially designed bezel which can only turn in a single direction making it impossible for it to be knocked into a position that indicates a longer time. This prevents problems with divers accidentally staying underwater for too long.
- The Submariner has been built for comfort and hence is suitable for everyday use. There is also a magnifying section over the date allowing it to be easily read (this is known as a Cyclops).
- The style and design of the Submariner is such that it would be suitable for a wide range of social occasions. Although it’s become known as one of the best divers watch available it’s commonly used along with formal and casual attire.
Rolex Submariner watches are slightly smaller and lighter than the Rolex Sea Dweller which in turn makes them more comfortable. The downside, however, is that this may make them more difficult to read in certain situations.
The Submariner also doesn’t come with a helium escape valve which is included in most Sea Dweller models. For this reason it may not be suitable for use during saturation diving. It comes with a very strong and sturdy case, however, to ensure that an accidental knock or bang won’t damage the internal watch movement.
Rolex Submariner in Popular Culture
The Rolex Submariner has appeared in a number of different films including the early James Bond movies. Since then Rolex has been replaced by Omega as the “official” watch of James Bond. For example, in From Russia With Love Sean Connery is seen wearing a Submariner throughout the film.
Leave a Reply